Re: "Artist Statement T-shirts"

---------

From: Ann Ayers (art304_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 16:16:17 PDT

Patty,
I usually do Bookmaking with my Art 1 students. The first thing that we
do is work on the paper for about a week. First we dye it on both
sides, layer the dyes, and then draw into the paper. The kids have no
idea what the paper is for, but, they absolutely love it! Then comes
the bookmaking: I first show them mini-movies of images of the
different types of books, discuss bookmaking as an art form, and then
show them some actual books. For these students, I limit their choices
to the 4 easiest books (accordion, fold-out, triangular, and
criss-cross/flag book). I have step-by-step directions for these books
and they go to it. At first, they have problems with cutting their
decorated paper, but, after the first cut, they're okay. It's
exciting to do it this way because there is a variety of different
books all over the place!
I also do bookmaking with my sculpture students. They get to choose
any book EXCEPT the ones that they did in Art 1.
Hope this helps,
peace,
ann

On Sep 18, 2004, at 5:14 PM, Patty Phillips wrote:

> Speaking of selling things....I bought your book, "Sculptural
> Bookmaking", and it is awesome.  I was just wondering how you
> approached sculptural bookmaking as a lesson.  My students always make
> their own sketchbooks so they are familiar with bookbinding
> processes.  But I don't know whether to teach them how to create lots
> of different kinds of books and have them make mini versions and then
> choose one book form to create as a "real" project, or to just show
> them one or two book forms and have them choose one form to create.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Patty in KY
> ---
> leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu