A "gold mine" of ideas for ceramics (MS-HS)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 09:01:15 PDT

Dear Ceramics Teachers,

I guess I am still "fishing" for lesson ideas for
kids... Take a look at these cyber exhibits! a virtual
gold mine of ideas:
Potfest Ceramics Competitions
http://www.potfest.co.uk/archivelist.htm
Fair Use does allow you to use some of these images in
a PowerPoint (include copyright info on your slides).
Creative Tea Pots:
http://www.potfest.co.uk/Comp03/comp03.htm
Dish of the Day: - amazing responses (6 pages) - many
sculptural pieces
http://www.potfest.co.uk/COMP02/comp02.htm
A Piece for Japanese Garden (sculptural works and
functional - 8 pages)
http://www.potfest.co.uk/COMP2001/comp2001.htm
Sacred Container (my favorite - 3 pages)
http://www.potfest.co.uk/comp98/comp98.htm
Top That (lidded containers - very neat!)
http://www.potfest.co.uk/Comp2000/comp2000.htm
"Lighting the way" (candle holders - oil lamps):
http://www.potfest.co.uk/Comp99/comp99.htm

I will be adding links to these on my ceramics page
(soon).

More links to inspire....
Greggory Hubbard - fun whimsical - colorfull sculpture
http://www.gregoryhubbard.com/

Marie Gibbons
I did a unit on "Ceramic Art House" - Here is one
image from her:
http://www.thefigurative.com/tf_full1.htm?FullCode=1110
http://www.thefigurative.com/tf_11.htm
(My sample was my Van Gogh House. I had some post
cards of David Stabley's work too - pre-Internet).

More on Marie Gibbons....
http://www.mariegibbons.com
Selected works:
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/m/marie/
"Oh the stories she could tell"
http://www.artdept.com.au/contest99/mixed/GibbonsMarie.htm

One work:
http://www.followtheblackrabbit.com/guest_gibbons1.htm
Shoe "OZ":
http://www.followtheblackrabbit.com/guest_gibbons3.htm

Great stuff - Prismacolor finish too...
http://www.pirateart.homestead.com/gibbons.html
Marie's Crane woman:
http://www.pirateart.homestead.com/gib2.html

Wow - See "Opening Doors 1"
http://www.potfest.co.uk/comp98/gibbons.htm

Definitey look at Cheryl Tall:
http://www.cheryltall.com/

Gail McCarthy (reminds me of George Orr - Biloxi
Potter)
http://www.gailmccarthy.com/

Peter Voulkos American Ceramicist - born 1924
http://www.voulkos.com/suprplatejpg.html

Marilyn Levine:
http://users.lmi.net/ml/

Tony Natsoulas Ceramic sculpture:
http://www.tonynatsoulas.com/

One idea I think that would make a great lesson is
where every one starts with a box (all use same size
templates to start with)- then go beyond the box. See
Women Beyond Borders (starting with a wood box).
http://www.womenbeyondborders.org/ex_intro.htm

Students could design their ceramic box around their
culturl heritage - or around their personality -
identity - add sculptural elements and/or assemblage.
Here is Mexico:
http://www.womenbeyondborders.org/wbb.asp?country=Mexico

Boxes for the kids could be any shape - but maybe set
a maximum size like 6" x 9". These could be functioanl
boxes - or sculptural or both.

Send in one image of student work using any of these
artists as inspiration to add to the Ceramics idea
page. Include name of your school and brief
description of your project. I am certain that all of
these artists would like to inspire students.

Enjoy!

Judy Decker