Albinoni - Adagio for Strings, Pachelbel - Canon in D, Bach - Air from suite #3 and Brandenburg #2 in F major, Mendelssohn - Spring song and Italian Symphony (2nd movement), Tchaikovsky - Nutcracker: Flute dance and Waltz of flower, Faure - Siciliana, Chopin - Walzes, etudes for piano, Brahms symphonies, Dvorak - Romanian dances,
Remember that playing any music at an excessive volume can be a distraction. Follow these simple rules:
1. Select a CD to fit the project your students are engaged in doing:
a.. Learning, Concentration, and Thinking at 50-60 b.p.m. for study, testing, workgroups, and computer time
b.. De-Stress, Relax at 30-60 b.p.m. for settling the class after high energy activities or disruptions, or rest times
c.. Inspiration, at 60-90 b.p.m. for creative work
d.. Motivation at 120-140 b.p.m. and Productivity at 70-130 b.p.m. for task completion and kinesthetic activities.
2. Keep the volume low. This means you should still have the ability to speak at a conversational level without raising your voice. The music should be in the background creating a filter for unwanted noise in the classroom throughout the day. This creates the body relaxed, mind alert state.
3. For a break after 45 minutes or more of studying, you may increase the volume a bit so that students may listen for a few minutes to the music. This technique is recommended in the book "Learn with the Classics" by Anderson, Marsh and Harvey. It is meant to relax students and let their minds reflect on what they have learned.
1. ``Ocean Waves'' (recorded by Peter Roberts, Nature's Creations)
2. ``Requiem'' Tomas Luis de Victoria (The Tallis Scholars, Gimell )
3. ``Softly and Tenderly: 21 Best-loved Hymn Melodies'' (Bernhard Herms, piano solo, Brentwood Records)
4. ``Journey,'' by Brian Scott Bennett, ``Music Meditation: Awaken.'' (The Relaxation Company)
5. ``Mysterious Mountain,'' Op. 132 (Symphony No. 2): Alan Hovhaness (Fritz Reiner, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, RCA)
6. ``Adagietto'' (fourth movement), Symphony No. 5: Gustav Mahler from two-CD set ``Classical Dreams: Music to Inspire.'' (Virgin Classics)
7. ``The Rough Guide to Venezuela'' (World Music Network/Rough Guides)
8. ``The Very Best of The Beach Boys: Sounds of Summer'' (Capitol Records)
9. ``The Lark Ascending'' Ralph Vaughan Williams: (Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Polygram/Argo)
10. ``Keith Jarrett: Koln Concert Live, Part I'' (Keith Jarrett, solo jazz piano; ECM Records)