class dismissed

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 11:32:53 PDT

What are the best ways you have found to dismiss your art classes?

On my Lesson Planning page I added positive dismissal habits.
For what it is worth, I share them for your thoughts.
I am sure some of you can add some good ideas as well as some humorous ones.
DISMISSAL WITH PURPOSE
We have a chance to improve student minds and thinking habits by
doing at least one of these things at dismissal time.

Review today's main art concepts and art vocabulary.
Talk about lessons being planned for the future.
Invite ideas for future lessons.
Tell or show an art joke.
Offer to show them a gymnastics trick if they are quieter next time.
Repeat a saying from a famous artist.
Ask open art questions to think about.
Students are assigned things to look at and look for in their lives.
Students are sent away with their subconscious minds actively
creating imaginary solutions to art problems anticipated in the
future.
Students are sent away formulating new art problems to work on.
Art teachers expect students to come to the next session with new
journal entrees and new sketches of what they have seen and imagined.

Artists never get away from the homework of the eye and the mind. We
dream art both at night and in our daydreams. We sketch and journal
these rich ideas so that when we finally get to enter the studio, the
ideas force themselves onto the canvas or into the clay. Art teachers
understand this and find ways to inculcate their students with
artistic ways of seeing and thinking about all of life.
If you care to see the rest of the page, see:
Planning Art Lessons
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/artlsn.html

Marvin Bartel

---