Re: how do your students use glue?

---------

From: Ann Ayers (art304_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 07:52:22 PDT

> What methods have others found to be successful for passing out glue
> to K - 3 students?

I haven't taught elementary art for a zillion years, but, when I did, I
used something called a Tazmanian Glue Dobbie.

To make some (I made a whole bunch - one for every kid)
1. Tear (not cut) a brown grocery bag into approximately 1.5" strips.
These strips will be about 1.5"x24" long.
2. Cut up the bottom of the bag (the thickest part of a grocery bag)
into approx. 2" squares (doesn't have to be precise).
3. Wrap one of the strips around your thumb to form a short tube.
Glue the end so that the tube doesn't unravel.
4. Now, take the tube off of your thumb and kind of push one end down
on a flat surface so that it is "even" on one end.
5. Put a generous amount of glue on that end and put it on the "bottom
square" (it now looks a bit like an upside down graduation cap)
6. Allow to dry
7. Take a large paper clip and unbend one end so that you have a
straight piece with a handle. This is the Glue Dobbie.

To use these, put a squirt of white glue into the bottom of the paper
well, and use the straight part of the paper clip to apply the glue.
Because the clip is so thin, only a small amount of glue will be
applied.

At the end of the period, collect all of the glue wells and remove the
paper clips. (I just put them all on a tray)
The glue remaining in the wells will dry up - no big deal. You can
just put more glue in each day and keep using them over and over again.
  Eventually, though, they will have to be replaced, but, because they
were so cheap and easy to make.... You could enlist the older kids or
even parents to make tons of these for you.

Hope you can visualize what these look like and how to use them - If
not, email me off-list and I'll send you a picture of one.

Peace,
ann

---