RE: Help Getting large classes quiet

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 06:27:26 PDT

Apparently this is a concern among many teachers! On another teacher board, someone posted this idea today:

"Changing seating charts is a good idea. Also, just stop teaching and start looking at the clock. Once the class stops talking, simply state, "It took you all 2 minutes to stop talking. Now you all will be waiting 2 minutes after the bell before going to your next class. And no, passes will NOT be written out. I will keep adding time each time I stop." This worked great for me, especially since my rowdiest class last year was RIGHT before their lunch. Trust me, 9th graders hate missing their lunch time. ;-)"

I think this will work for my large 8th grade class right before lunch.