Help Getting large classes quiet

---------

From: Gabrielle Bliss (Gabrielle.Bliss_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 19:48:46 PDT

Okay you wise teachers what do you do with this?

High School, 5 sections of intro to art, mixed 9th through 12th
grade classes of 38 (smallest) to 45. Small, crowded room.
Urban, inner city High School. In 3 out of the 5 I have a hard time
beginning the class- yes beginning the class as in getting them
quiet. I do the usual- stand in front- ask them to be quiet so class
can begin in a voice a little louder than theirs, wait, ask again, ask
louder, move to a "decontaminated" place and ask again, turn off
the lights,.....

Once we get going we have to stop ALOT but it's starting that's the
hardest. Anyone have a way of consistantly quieting inner city
students in this situation?

Thanks for your responses. Gabrielle with WAY too many students

---