Re: Portfolios for college admission and art scholarships

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 17:38:47 PDT

San D, thanks for this list. I printed it out and I'm giving it to one of my students. She is working on completing a portfolio that is acceptable for college admission.

She has excellent drawing/technical (copying) skills...but she is headstrong and does not do much work from direct observation. I tell her how important this is and I've talked to her dad about this. His reply...was "well, I can copy anything too, but I can't draw from life"...

Carolyn

San D wrote:
self portrait (more than 1)

landscape (emphasizing use of perspective with foreground, midground, background)

figures (more than 1 drawing, contour line, realistic, gesture, emphasizing observation and drawing styles)

interior (emphasizing perspective, texutres, observation skills)

exterior (emphasizing drawing from observation)

still life (emphazing drawing from observation)

color "problem"

value study

sculptural pieces (at least 3-slides will do) (clay, mixed media, altered books,etc)

etching or linoleum cut or silkscreen (emphasizing printmaking techniques and experiences)

mediums

acrylic (or oil)

pastel

charcoal

pencil

pen and ink

watercolor

colored pencil

mixed media

All of the portfolio pieces should have thesis statements, and the student should be ready to talk about them. Not in terms of "this was an assignment", but in terms of what statement they were trying to do with their individual solution to the 'problem'

San D

---