Re: Portfolios for college admission

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 17:31:26 PDT

These are on my list, too...
My list includes the same as yours, except they have to have more than one
self-portrait in at least two different media (e.g. drawing, painting),
still life drawings showing their knowledge of value study, paintings that
show knowledge and application of color relationships.
Also...mixed media and collage

But...we are weak on sculpture. We don't have a working kiln.

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track. I used to have the portfolio
list from NC State University, but don't have it now. We have had several
students enter their architectural degree program...and they told me there
were really more interested in the creative abilities of the students,
rather than their drafting skills. They said they could teach the drafting
skills...but they were looking for the "creative thinking" students.

Last year, I also had a student who got into a school in Washington DC
(can't remember which one now)...but her portfolio consisted of nearly ALL
self-portraits, painted while looking in the mirror. She worked in a corner
in my classroom...had two easels set up...one to use for painting...and the
other for a large mirror.

Thanks...Carolyn

> This is a list I got from MIAD:
> still lifes in a diversity of mediums
> environments and landscapes (indoor and outdoor - show perspective)
> figure drawings
> self-portraits from a mirror

> What do you have on your list?

---