Tempera Batik - Lesson update for middle school

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 15:07:52 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Joyce Paliulionis has sent in images to add to the
Tempera Batik lesson plan
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/elem69.html#Joyce

The lesson is linked from Elementary Plans and now
from Middle school. Joyce basicially did the lesson as
written for elementary. I have added her "words of
wisdom". The trick is to not let the India ink get too
dry. My co-worker let hers dry over night and the ink
wouldn't wash off without taking most of the paint
with it. Experiment with your brand of paint before
trying it with students. Personally, I would recommend
this lesson for grades 4 and up (the orignal author
submitted is as K-6). I think you would have to do too
many of the steps yourself for younger students. If
anyone has done this successfully with younger grades
- please submit one image for elementary. I have seen
great work done by 4th graders.

Regards,

Judy Decker