Re: grading elementary art-is it required for you?

---------

From: K A (arizkma_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 18:24:23 PDT

In one of my schools, I'll be using plus, check and minus. I don't like it for the reason Leah stated below, but the principal said I couldn't use letter grades because art was "too subjective" . . . even after I said I had rubrics to back up my grading. As a side note, the music teacher told me that in his opinion if a student does the work, that's a plus, so I have a feeling he gives all pluses. At my other school, the principal was glad to have me initiate letter grades, which haven't been used in the recent past.

I loved the standards based report card that was used in my previous school (when I was a classroom teacher), so I use that for inspiration in my rubrics, with the marks Exceeds, Meets, Progressing and Unsatisfactory progress towards the specific standards. Now I just need to translate that into pluses, checks and minuses, as well as letter grades.

~ Kathleen

The problem with just three
grades is that everyone expects a plus and a check feels like a failure.
Like I said, I'm not sure what the right answer is.

Leah