Re: grading elementary art-is it required for you?

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 17:06:17 PDT

Our school gives plus, check, or minus on the report card twice a year. I
grade each project using a rubric and in my grade book, I also use check
plusses and check minusses. When I figure out the final grade for each
grading period, I assign 5 points for a plus, 4 for a check plus etc. If a
student earns a check plus or check minus after I'm done averaging the
points, I round up or down. I'm not sure how I feel about grading
elementary art. I feel students in grades k-2 would put forth the same
amount of effort with or without grades, and sometimes grades discourage
them. Some students in grades 3-5, however, are motivated by grades more
than anything. Since I'm required to do grades, I'd like them to have
meaning and it seems to me that written comments or A-F would make more
sense to parents and students. Written comments take forever, though, and
it's hard to remember all the students in elementary unless you write about
them every day (so I'd never recommend it). The problem with just three
grades is that everyone expects a plus and a check feels like a failure.
Like I said, I'm not sure what the right answer is.

Leah

---