RE: Ready to Quit after One Week!

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 13:57:30 PDT

This group is amazing. There have been so many wonderful suggestions to
this teacher with second thoughts. I'd like the opportunity to add
another thought.

A few years ago, my school decided to adopt the Boys Town Social skills
training. It was very good, when and if all of the staff cooperated.
Some techniques of dealing with difficult behaviors in my classroom I
still use today -altho I no longer work at that school. The training is
based on the idea that a person generally 'misbehaves' because they do
not know the proper acceptable behavior in a given situation. Then you,
the teacher, must set about helping the child to behave appropriately in
that setting (your classroom). The steps to helping the child make that
change are specific and sequential, and I will include a site for those
of you interested in more info. The idea, tho, that a child who is
misbehaving often does not know which behaviors are acceptable in your
classroom, objectifies the situation and gives you some direction
towards resolution. This has often been a comfort and direction with
problems in my classroom. Admittedly, it does not solve all problems -
like home issues that the child carries with them or no breakfast or
supper, etc. However, when you help them to understand what you expect
in your classroom, you are being predictable, and more importantly,
reliable. The students know that they can count on you as far as your
expectations of them in your classroom. That predictability is
something that students often do not have at home - life comes along 90
miles an hour, faster than they have time to think or process, the world
can be a confusing place.

They are begging you to be an anchor.

http://www.girlsandboystown.org/pros/training/education/well-man_class_o
bj.asp