Wow!!!

---------

From: SIZANA (atla_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 05:24:43 PDT

BluesTruth@aol.com wrote:In Chicago, where I teach, I have a very small
room (110 year old school when there were only 10 students in a room!!)
with only 30 or so chairs. Because of the "No Children Left Behind"
act, the kids are not being bused anymore (no funding) , 2 counselors,2
caseworkers, several teachers & aids were also let go. You see, there
was no funding for this "No Children Left Behind" nonsense .When the
kids were bused, our class size was okay--30 or so was the average.
Now...without busing, the class size has jumped up to approx. 47! So,
of course, it's up to us teachers to deal with all of this madness. I
asked our Principal if I can get some more chairs (she was shocked--she
had no idea I didn't have enough chairs !) and I am still waiting. My
solution: The children are sharing chairs, believe it or not!!

I thought this only happened in developing countries.

Tracey In South Africa

---