Ken shattered images

---------

From: Sara (sarawren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 02:33:47 PDT

Ken and All

Ken when I saw the pencil Shattered Images lesson I thought of you.
sarawren

Shattered Images
Inspiration:

As creative artists/teachers, we reinvent concepts and ideas every year as we face a new group of students. While inventing new ways to share basic concepts we, in turn, rejuvenate our interest and enhance our skills. I wanted to reinvent the way I taught value study using a fresh approach, one that would give students more decision-making power. My goal was to have students select and develop an image with self-expression.
Problem:
Using cubism as a jump-off point, students will develop a large, single-subject drawing as a way to develop their understanding of value study. They will increase their knowledge about shades of gray while learning how Cubism can influence their personal expression.

Materials:
18" x 24" white drawing paper (80 lb.) drawing pencils (4H to 6B)

Start Up Activity:
Have students select a subject and produce a large contour line drawing of that subject. Encourage students to focus on a single item such as a car, insect, person, or fish.

Students should place their subject so as to create a compositionally strong image. At this point students have not yet begun their value study. Gather visual examples of Cubism from books or slides.

Found at
http://www.portfolioseries.com/edu/resource/pencil/shatter.cfm

http://www.portfolioseries.com/edu/resource/

---