Re: Ready to Quit after One Week! My advice (a little long)

---------

Aartteachr_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 16:04:03 PDT

In a message dated 9/13/2004 10:22:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
aiheineman@prodigy.net writes:

> My additional thought would be to share the reasons you state for becoming
> an art teacher with your students. Don't hide it in a grade book. Also,
> make a poster for the room that tells the students something about you...your
> education credentials (doctors post theirs in the waiting/exam rooms, right?!),
> your own art work, family, interests, pets, travels, etc. Tell them about
> the courses you have taken and which ones have helped you

Very good! We do this as a matter of tradition in our school.

When I first came to my school and no one knew me, made a large poster with
the title "Who IS Mrs. G???" . On it are copies of my 3 state credentials and
professional membership cards, a picture of me as a grad in college (cap &
gown), a picture of my kids & husband, pictures of me in HS as a cheerleader and
my HS yearbook picture. Then I had a section on it called "Crazy Things I Have
Done" and I have a picture of me flying on a trapeeze at the top of an FSU
circus tent (yes, really! and I was scared stiff) and one of me on my hot air
balloon trip. Then some crazy ones with me dressed up funny during homecoming
days. The kids loved it. They knew I had a sense of humor but could back up my
experience in my profession.

They want to know you are caring, responsible and professional, not
necessarily their friend, but a respected mentor. The first day back from this last
hurricane, I told them to put their pencils down and talk. We dealt with
post-tramatic stress and how to cope. The kids felt cared for and that they were more
important than their lesson that day. Seize those opportunities to show you
care even if it is only for 5 minutes. They will love you for it.

Marsha

---