RE: Ready to Quit after One Week! Please Help.

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 14:09:28 PDT

If it's ok with your school, you could ask the parent of the offending
student to come in and sit with him for a couple of days--usually that
is a fate worse than death since parents and all adults in general are
SOOO embarassing. The only problem is that so many parents work now.

>>> ESears@Anchorage.k12.ky.us 09/12/2004 5:02:40 PM >>>
Well - you are better off then some in your position - you have 17
years of
life experiences that should come in handy.

 Don't hesitate to call the parents, I had parents come in and sit at
each
table during my first year. They dind't have an art teacher for the
first 6
weeks of school, I was hired in late September (25 years ago)... ended
up
with a class of 25 boys - they didn't take French, so they got me. I
made a
lot of mistakes and can't believe how hard I made it at times.

If you have some that finish early, continue to add small related
tasks
(like your value scales). I would also have them describe, analyze
and
reflect at every stopping point - describe the assignment, analyze (why
did
we do it) and reflect (judge yourself/work/time on task - what did you
like,
what could you have done better...) this can be done at the end of
everyday
also - you never know what you may end up reading....

I would also have some open-ended questions available that go with a
work of
art - again - reflective writing -

boy - glad I am not there..
find something you are passionate about and share it with them.

Ellen

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---