discipline

---------

From: Foell, Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange (Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 10:43:44 PDT

I concur with many of the group's ideas. NOTHING works like an immediate
phone call home. I also have made kids do assignments up to three times if
they rush through and do a lousy job. I tell them the work isn't up to my
standards, so here's new paper. Start over. My remark? "Do you think
Picasso only painted every painting perfectly the first time?" I also tell
them first day. "Look anywhere on this campus. If you see the number 1748
(my classroom), you will see MY name next to it. That means this is MY
playground. MY ROOM. MY stuff. If you want to come into my room and
participate and play with MY materials and do the artwork, then you are
invited. If not, see your counselor for a schedule change."

I realize this works better for HS, but the control concepts are applicable
everywhere. I also find a daily grade helps. If you're misbehaving, you
lose points because you're obviously not working on your project and you're
interfering with others. Once they see you mean business, word gets around
that you'll call home and most will comply. You'll always have those who
cannot behave no matter what, and then that's an admin matter. In Florida,
we have legislation that states we don't have to keep an unruly kid in
class. Lots of documentation, etc, but it can be done to have one removed.
I make sure my kids know that law is in effect and will be utilized in my
room if needed.

It helps that I've done this for over 25 years. It hasn't gotten easier,
because mommies and daddies think their little cherubs are so innocent.
Just remember that it's YOUR room and stand your ground.

Marlyn Foell in post-Frances Florida where I'm on my 10th day with NO power
still.....
RHS Contributing Excellence to Our Community.

Paint your life with bold strokes and bright colors.

---