RE: Ready to Quit after One Week! Please Help.(Long response)

---------

From: Judi Morgan (judi.morgan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 08:43:35 PDT

When I first switched from teaching library to art, students were
reluctant to believe that I knew ANYTHING about art. If you have any of
your own work, I suggest that you bring it in and have a show and tell
day. Let them know your background in art, talk about your
work-students love stories. Middle Schoolers especially need "proof"
that they should respect a new "authority". Once you show them your
work, I would be surprised if you still have as much disrespect (though
if they really loved the previous teacher, you will still have some
reluctance-possibly for the rest of the year). But I can guarantee that
next year will be exceedingly rewarding! Hang in there.

Judi Morgan

Saint George's School

Spokane, WA