Re: Ready to Quit after One Week! My advice (a little long)

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 07:23:44 PDT

Hi Patti and list,
   I've been enjoying your responses to this thread, even though I'm
retired. My additional thought would be to share the reasons you state for
becoming an art teacher with your students. Don't hide it in a grade book.
Also, make a poster for the room that tells the students something about
you...your education credentials (doctors post theirs in the waiting/exam
rooms, right?!), your own art work, family, interests, pets, travels, etc.
Tell them about the courses you have taken and which ones have helped you.
Share your ongoing continuing education. Too often, sadly, teachers have to
sacrifice their individuality and human spirit to the big, increasingly
legalistic, politically correct, corporate world of education.
                               Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                               Art teacher, K-5, retired

Patty said....Remember that you chose this for a reason...make a list of
those reasons and read them to yourself often. I would read my reasons why
I wanted to be an Art Teacher every morning before school started the entire
first year. (I kept the list in the front of my grade book).

---