Re: large class--tips?

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 04:39:45 PDT

I am amazed at your situation. And I was feeling overwhelmed because I have all classes of 30 on rotation. I have no idea how you're doing it. Drink some herbal tea and take a long bath! jancy in ohio

BluesTruth@aol.com wrote:In Chicago, where I teach, I have a very small room (110 year old school when there were only 10 students in a room!!) with only 30 or so chairs. Because of the "No Children Left Behind" act, the kids are not being bused anymore (no funding) , 2 counselors,2 caseworkers, several teachers & aids were also let go. You see, there was no funding for this "No Children Left Behind" nonsense .When the kids were bused, our class size was okay--30 or so was the average. Now...without busing, the class size has jumped up to approx. 47! So, of course, it's up to us teachers to deal with all of this madness. I asked our Principal if I can get some more chairs (she was shocked--she had no idea I didn't have enough chairs !) and I am still waiting. My solution: The children are sharing chairs, believe it or not!!