Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

to make comments in regard to No Child Left ED Dept.

From: Sara (sarawren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 22:08:11 PDT

For your information...........

On the US Department of Education site

one can read Secretary Rod Paige addressing No Child Left Behind and Art
Education. see below

There is also an email address to make comments in regard to No Child Left
Behind. I have made comments and send them

Comments or questions about No Child Left Behind
 Telephone: 1-888-814-NCLB (1-888-814-6252)
 TTY: 1-800-437-0833
 Fax: (202) 401-0689
 U.S. Mail: U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

Noting that the arts are a core subject under the No Child Left Behind Act,
U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige has issued guidance on the law's
funding and flexibility that can be used to improve art education and
teacher quality, particularly as a means to improve the educational
achievement of economically disadvantaged students through the arts.
"As I travel the country, I often hear that arts education programs are
endangered because of No Child Left Behind. This message?is both disturbing
and just plain wrong," Secretary Paige wrote in a letter to school
"The truth is that NCLB included the arts as a core academic subject because
of their importance to a child's education. No Child Left Behind expects
teachers of the arts to be highly qualified, just as it does teachers of
English, math, science, and history."The letter cites research that shows
arts teaching and learning can increase students' cognitive and social
development and serve as a "critical link" to help students develop crucial
thinking skills and become motivated to achieve at higher levels. Research
also shows that students who are highly involved in the arts earn better
grades and perform better on standardized tests. The guidance offers a
summary of these and other findings found in the Arts Education
Partnership's Critical Links: Learning in the Arts and Student Academic and
Social Development. Secretary Paige's letter also reminds superintendents
about the law's
flexibility and the funding available to support core subjects through
programs supported by the No Child Left Behind Act, including: Title I funds
to improve the academic achievement of the neediest students; the
Comprehensive School Reform program; and Title II Teacher Quality
Enhancement Grants to provide professional development for teachers of the
"For both the important knowledge and skills they impart and the ways in
which they help students to succeed in school and in life, the arts are an
important part of a complete education. As we work together to implement
NCLB, let's ensure that all children have the opportunity to learn and to
grow in and through the arts," Secretary Paige said.
The letter is available at

ART as a core subject

Arts in Education Model Development and Dissemination Grants Program