RE: Ready to Quit after One Week! Please Help.

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 17:02:40 PDT

Well - you are better off then some in your position - you have 17 years of
life experiences that should come in handy.

 Don't hesitate to call the parents, I had parents come in and sit at each
table during my first year. They dind't have an art teacher for the first 6
weeks of school, I was hired in late September (25 years ago)... ended up
with a class of 25 boys - they didn't take French, so they got me. I made a
lot of mistakes and can't believe how hard I made it at times.

If you have some that finish early, continue to add small related tasks
(like your value scales). I would also have them describe, analyze and
reflect at every stopping point - describe the assignment, analyze (why did
we do it) and reflect (judge yourself/work/time on task - what did you like,
what could you have done better...) this can be done at the end of everyday
also - you never know what you may end up reading....

I would also have some open-ended questions available that go with a work of
art - again - reflective writing -

boy - glad I am not there..
find something you are passionate about and share it with them.

Ellen

---