Re: Ready to Quit after One Week! Please Help.

---------

From: Ann Ayers (art304_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 12:32:04 PDT

> Could you please offer me some suggestion to better manage my students
> who are completing their projects at very different times.  I
> can't "reward" the early birds by giving them extra credit for a
> second project.  What should I do?

One way to keep ALL students on task is to make a rubric for each
assignment and give it to the students so that they can see how they
will be assessed - you can have them assess themselves, based on the
rubric, when they are "finished." They MIGHT be inspired to go back
and work on the assignment a bit longer if they can "see" what grade
they will be getting.

You might also have the students make a sketchbook / journal or altered
book to work on/in when they are finished with their regular
assignments. Just make sure you have specific assignments and grading
rubrics so that the students don't rush through these as well.

Another thought...you could have "chores" for those who finish early,
i.e. cleaning the sink, cleaning paint brushes, etc. so that finishing
early is NOT something that is desirable.

As others have said, students ALWAYS "test" a new teacher - the first
year is always the hardest. Hang in there, things can only get better!

Peace,
ann (who's been teaching art for 31 years and who's seen and
experienced it all!)

---