Re: just not getting it

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 12:10:23 PDT

Jackie, I teach perspective at the middle school level, but it is very step-by-step. I do a simple hallway drawing with 6th graders and by the end, they all understand the basic idea of perspective, but many are unable to carry it over to other projects. I do another one in 7th grade to keep introducing the concept to them. Keep in mind that perspective is a VERY difficult concept for some students to understand. When I was in high school I wanted to understand it so bad, but no matter how hard I tried it just did not make sense to me. (We had to do our school hallways in perspective). And hey, I was a straight A student! I really did not fully "get it" until my college drawing classes. You might just need to pull aside those students who are having trouble or announce, "Anyone who is having problems I will do another step by step demonstration for you at this table." Give them lots of handouts with clear directions. You might need to work with them very slowly.. just have
 those confused kids do one letter at a time with you watching as they do it.

Aust ArtClasses <austart@bryanisd.org> wrote:body{margin-left:10px;margin-right:10px;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;}I have been working with Art I students this last week on perspective, 1, 2, and 3. We have done daily lessons on each, practice on each - all of which they have it. But low and behold, you give them a problem to solve,, a choice of any one to use, and the excercises as backups - and they are just not getting it. Now, this is only two of my four Art I classes, and not everyone in each. I am asking either their name or a floating outspace museum as the Studio project. Other than that, it is their choice which one and 1, 2, or 3. I hate to lower the problem to I do all the boxes for them in perspective and ALL they have to do is fill in with letters from name or design for the museum. I just refuse to do it.

Jackie Brewer (Aust)
Bryan High School
Bryan Texas 77802
austart@bryanisd.org (Art Classes)