Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: FIrst KILN!!!


From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 11:26:46 PDT

The worst that would happen is that it wouldn't work, unless you have
frayed wiring or something, but you could see that. Your problem is
that you can't plug it into a stove plug--it requires 3 phase power
which an electrical must bring to your house because you won't have that
high of amperage in a home. You will need to pay for it--and probably
expect around $1000. I have an old kiln at home and I thought I could
bring it to school and use it for backup, but it's power demand was
different (you --or rather an electrical can tell by the plug) so I
couldn't do it. No, you can't just cut off the plug and hook up one
that will go into the socket. You should ask the lady to show you how
she plugged it in. I would still have an electrical look at it even if
she says you can use the stove, because our school electrical explained
very carefully to me why it wouldnt' work, and I can't remember--It was
definitely safety issues. If you plugged into a low system it would
take days to fire. If you plug it into a system that it isn't made for
you could melt the wiring and have a fire. I had that happen in my room
where the builders used cheapo aluminun wiring and it melted down and
was a rather spectacular fireworks demonstration.

>>> 09/10/2004 9:13:34 AM >>>
Well it's in a ladys garage and she hasn't used it in 4 years.
What could be the worst thing that could happen?
Please warn me now.
She said they bought it for $800 say 9 years ago.