RE: Ready to Quit after One Week! Please Help.

---------

From: Linda White (linda.c.white_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 11:14:08 PDT

JMJ Smith wrote:
> I gave up my
> high-paying job of 17 years to teach art at my son's private school (a
> decision I made after much praying). I was very excited and really
> wanted to do this. I spent my entire summer planning lessons for
> grades preK through 12. I was not prepared for disrespect and lack of
> interest in art that I encountered--especially from my 8th graders.

I assume that the job you gave up was not in teaching.

My son took alternative certification and is in your same boat in relation
to discipline. He has been substitute teaching at all levels and has been
shocked by behavior. My advice to him has been to hang tough and try to
convey his love of subject to the students. Good Luck Linda in Oklahoma

---