RE: Chair as art project in AP?

---------

From: Maude Ruesch (mruesch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 11:10:45 PDT

Two years ago my daughter used "chairs" as her theme for AP 3-D. She made
about 10 chairs during the year. The first couple were a little shaky and
not braced very well, but by the end, she had figured out how to put
together a solid piece of furniture. She even made money by selling a few
of them. She is now majoring in woodworking and furniture at VCU Arts in
Richmond. The problems she had at the beginning had a lot to do with
bracing and how creative she could get and still have a piece of furniture
that was useful - or at least stood up on its own and could withstand a
little weight being placed on it. Another problem was the amount of sawdust
she generated. It completely covered most of what was in our basement - we
are still cleaning off things we haven't used for a while.

I think the problems you encounter will probably be related to the kids not
being familiar with or not having access to the tools they might need and
not being able to figure out how to brace the structure without assistance.
I think it's a great project - I just think some people might need more than
one shot at it. I think it was her third chair that was the breakthrough.
It really depends on what you're looking for though.

I loved the project. I hope you can make it work.

Maude in VA