Re: Ready to Quit after One Week! Please Help.

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 10:47:37 PDT

JMJ Smith wrote:
> I gave up my
> high-paying job of 17 years to teach art at my son's private school (a
> decision I made after much praying). I was very excited and really
> wanted to do this. I spent my entire summer planning lessons for
> grades preK through 12. I was not prepared for disrespect and lack of
> interest in art that I encountered--especially from my 8th graders.

I assume that the job you gave up was not in teaching. If that is the case
then you have a long steep learning curve ahead. Classroom discipline is an
art in itself and is also very individual in approach. What works for one
teacher may not fit another teachers way of working. I don't have any
quick advice, but motivation of students is a major factor. Once they see
that you really know your stuff and they embrace what they are asked
to do it will smooth out. Think back to your student teaching experiences.
What seemed to work then ? Students are not that much different
today. This list is a good place to ask for advice, but give it time. Ask
yourself if you really want to do this in the third year, not the first
week. Students always test a new teacher, it's part of their nature.
                                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703