Chair as art project in AP?

---------

From: Joe Cox (bjcoxteachart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 10:54:54 PDT

Hello Everyone.
I am working on a lesson plan for my Advanced Placement 3-D Class and was hoping to get some input from some of you all. I want the student to work on a project at home and so I am going to have them create and construct a chair. Below is a copy of the lesson. If you have a minute please read it what I am interested in is it a realistic project. This is an AP class and I want the students to have a project that require research and something they do at home. Like a science class assigns a science project. This is something new for me and I am also looking for some heads up on what to expect. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Blessings,
Joe.

The Chair as Art

Advanced Placement At Home Project

As part of your grade for this first semester you will create a chair that is a sculptural piece of art. The materials used to make the chair are up to you. The chair can be made from paper-mache, wood, found objects, fabric, metal, etc. But it will be your responsibility to acquire the materials you will be using.

The purpose of this assignment is:

  a.. To have a sculpture that is a possible selection for the breadth section of the AP Exam.
  b.. To work on a project at home without the guidance of a teacher. (I will be happy to counsel you at school on the problems you face with this project.)
  c.. To increase the student's research skills as they apply to 3-D Design.
  d.. To increase the student's problem solving skill as they apply to 3-D Design.
  e.. To understand the relationship of 3-D Design and furniture.
The chair must meet the following criteria's.

  a.. The chair must me made of a minimum of five pieces, for example a back, seat and two arms. Less then five pieces must get the approval of the teacher.
  b.. The chair cannot be created from a pre-existing chair but can be create from a variety of chair parts.
  c.. The chair needs to be life size.
  d.. The chair can be made from any materials you choose.
  e.. The chair is to be more sculptural then functional.
  f.. The chair is to be visually pleasing and or engaging for the viewer from all four views.
  g.. The chair is to be decorated or finished in some manner. (Painted, stained, collaged, glazed)
  h.. The chair must be created at home not at school.
  i.. It is the student's responsibility to get the chair to school.
The student will be graded on the following:

  a.. Did the student meet all the above criteria's?
  b.. Is the design of the chair at an Advance Placement level?
  c.. Is the construction of the chair at an Advance Placement level?
  d.. How well the student solves the problem of designing and constructing a chair.
  e.. Is the chair visually pleasing and or engaging to the viewer?
When is the chair due?

The chair will be turned in the last week of the first semester.

This project will count for 30% of your semester grade.

Periodically throughout the semester you will be required to turn in progress report or research done on the chair. First being due on First Class in October where you will research three ideas on ways you are going to create your chair. You will turn in drawing and a one page typed report that explains the design and construction of your chair. This report will be worth 100 points.

---