Re: large class--tips?

---------

wellj44_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 07:54:32 PDT

Heather Leal <rayleal@earthlink.net> wrote:

I also sometimes find I need 2 things going on- Groups will
>take turns working on something that is messy or requires lots of
>activity while others are working on something quiet and still -
>Good luck!
>Heather

Hi, This last idea of breaking your large class into groups by media worked for me years ago when I had large 7th grade classes. I set up five centers (watercolor, oil pastels, watercolor pencils, tempera cakes, markers, collage, etc.), and groups of five or six students rotated among them according to an assigned order and for a specific number of class periods (maybe five, if I remember correctly). All groups received the same "motivation" (so it didn't qualify as the new and improved center strategy), for example-- Create an artwork which depicts the fantasy you might imagine if you were to slice a particular planet in half and look inside. Groups had clean-up/set-up responsibilites, captains, etc. It worked pretty well. J.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.