RE: table bins and hair drawings

---------

From: Catharine Ho (catharineho_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 22:23:12 PDT

Hello all, I've been enjoying seeing how everyone has organized their
supplies for their tables and as usual - leave it to Linda W to make
lemonade from lemons. I have the kids sit four in a group and I have taken
their baskets off the tables. They can't keep their hands off the baskets
and every boy can't resist turning a ruler into a light saber it seems. I
also found that the more I put in their baskets the more items were lost. I
now have everything I need on a supply shelf at the front of the room. I've
changed the baskets to simple pencil trays. in each tray their ar 4 pencils,
two erasers and one small pencil sharpener. The groups of four are named
after the table artists and each desk has a colour sticker on it. to
distribute i just say, blue please get the pencil trays for your group,
green please get the newspapers etc. This way there is limited movement in
the room. I also use alot of Harry Wongs ideas on how to get their
attention. I use the 'give me five please' and after a week by the time i
get to 2 or 3 they are ready. for messy cleanup - I rotate the groups so
that only four are cleaning up and the others are in their seats working. I
go around and take half the palettes away and half the brushes away while
they are working on the last bits. It is working out well. Now I have to get
the table artists mobiles together this year.As for the great hair lesson, I
love to start the year with this. It helps me get to know their names. I
have may kids use their English names and their chinese names. they look
great and fill up all the grade 6 bulletin boards for curriculum night.
Sorry I dont' have photos ready but should within about two weeks. have a
great year everyone.
catharine in hong kong

Linguaphone : Learning English? Get Japanese lessons for FREE
http://go.msnserver.com/HK/46165.asp

---