Re: FIrst KILN!!!

---------

From: Numo Jaeger & Michael Miller (jaegmil_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 17:08:51 PDT

It may be of interest to find out exactly what had been fired in the kiln.
If lead glazes were used the lead can become volatile and migrate into the
walls of the kiln which can then contaminate everything that gets fired
afterwards. I don't know the degree to which this contamination occurs. It
might be an interesting question to post on CLAYART.

The kiln is undoubtedly fine. You might check the elements to make sure
that it works. Replacing elements right away can cost quite a bit of money
or take a lot of time to do by oneself.

Numo
At 12:13 PM 9/10/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Well it's in a ladys garage and she hasn't used it in 4 years.
>What could be the worst thing that could happen?
>Please warn me now.
>She said they bought it for $800 say 9 years ago.
>Brenda ---

---