Art Smart-Class Project

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 07:21:36 PDT

Hello. Just wanted to share a beginning of the year project that worked out
well. For each class in grades 1-4, I drew one large letter with thick
black line, on an 18" x 24" sheet of paper. Then I cut the paper into 3" x
3" squares. Be sure to number the squares before you cut! Each child in
each class colored at least two squares, sometimes more because there are 48
squares for each class. Guidelines for coloring were these: your name
needs to be somewhere on the front of the square; no black except if you
want to use it for your name; if the square is separated by a black line,
half of the square should be cool colors, half should be warm; if the square
is blank, it should be all warm or all cool. Students were encouraged to
create interesting patterns, but no pictures. After the coloring was done,
we all went into the hall and I called numbers to assemble the letter on the
wall (I used a double sided tape dispenser, which I recommend). Students
were excited to guess what the squares were making, and what the whole thing
would say in the end. Our letters spelled out, "Let's Get Art Smart!," but
yours could say anything. It makes a great Open House display because all
students participated. This idea came from those of you who said you were
going to do this to form a picture, and my apologies if I lifted this entire
idea from someone on the list!! Sometimes I read something, then later
think of it and think I came up with it myself, LOL.

Leah

---