rethinking my art room

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 18:24:36 PDT

First I want to thank all of you for your great ideas on marking the tables in the art room. I took a little something from many of those emails and made some big changes in my classroom.
I took the big blue bins off my tables and replaced them with smaller ( shoebox size) clear plastic ones. I filled them with pencils and erasers for my first project which is self portraits. After we color the portraits I'll add colored pencils, skin tone chalk pastels and kleenex for blending the chalks. I placed the bins in their new location which is on a nearby shelf. Then I put colored labels on each end of the bins that correspond to my new artist table decorations. For these I took apart one of those fan style packs of great artists collections. I glued a picture of the artist and a small example of one of his/her paintings onto a piece of colored paper and then laminated it. I taped it with strong clear packing tape to the center of each table. The colored background paper corresponds to the labeled bins.
Next I taped colored circles to the backs of all 24 chairs in my room. I have 6 tables with 4 chairs at each table. I only used 4 different colors. These colors will go along with a job chart I made with the following 4 jobs:
art bin manager
supply distributer
supply collector
table cleaner
So far, this is working out great. Thank you all. Just think, after teaching art for 25 years, I'm still learning new things.
Sky in NJ

---