Re: Behavior and Seating

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 14:18:27 PDT

In a message dated 9/10/04 12:17:49 PM, ARTNSOUL12@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 09/10/2004 10:01:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> HillmJan@Berkeleyprep.org writes:
>
> One other thing – when I have a particularly difficult child whose behavior
> warrants it, I give them their own desk, usually in a place where they
> cannot be a disturbance.  After that 1st class, I talk to the child and tell them
> that they will not be punished but praised if they make the choice to sit by
> themselves without my having to put them there.
>

> Let me preface my response by saying that if it works for you, and you feel
> comfortable, than do it.  I don't have a problem changing seats, but I
> do have a problem with separating a child from the rest of the class.  I find that
> if I label that child by segregating him/her it becomes "The
> Self-Fullfilling Prophecy".

Fascinating topic:
It often occurs to me that our all too busy schedules do not permit much
sharing of "meta cognition" information with our students (even the very young
ones) It is sort of like learning how to learn. This includes having the
students reflect on what sorts of things work best for them (and lots of
children know this, if asked) Do you work best in a quiet corner? In a cooperative
group? At a table, sitting? Standing up? Floor? Working quickly, working from
plans, working intuitively, etc. And then, of course the next step is
finding a way to offer some of these options. That can be a bit of work, but often
not nearly as much as all the discipline strategies necessary when some
children are not working in a manner which is prosperous for their learning style.
regards,
kathy douglas
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab