Re: Firing coins?

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 12:31:30 PDT

Coins aren't what they seem to be--pennies are zinc with a copper plate.
 Zinc fires like a shriveled up punk metal--not pretty. I've never
fired dimes and above. The melting temp of copper is 1981 degrees F,
sterling is 1640, zinc is 786, nickle 2651. You might keep these in
mind when firing--what firing temp are you using?? If I were you I
wouldn't let him do it, just try to press the coins in the clay and get
an impression (might not even show any design) and glue on later after
firing.

>>> ARopple@aol.com 09/09/2004 6:06:06 PM >>>
Has anyone experience with firing coins? A student of mine wants to
try
pennies, nickels, and quarters on the outside of a bank. I usually
fire at cone
06 with general utility clay. I'd like to avoid a messy melt or
popping!
Thanks,
Amy R.

---