Education Week Live Web Chat 9/9

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 09:39:03 PDT

Here is one of the questions posted from yesterday's live chat -

              "The Bush Education Agenda"

As part of our coverage of the 2004 election, EDUCATION WEEK has invited
members of the Bush and Kerry presidential campaigns to take part in live
online discussions with our readers. In this first chat, a Bush education
advisor will field questions from you on President Bush's education
initiatives and plans, including the No Child Left Behind Act and the role
of testing and accountability in schools.

Please join us for this important discussion with a Bush administration
insider:

http://www.edweek-chat.org

About the Guest:

Sandy Kress is an education advisor with the Bush re-election campaign, and
advised the Bush administration on the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. He
is a partner with the law firm of Akin Gump, focusing on public law and
policy, and serves on the Education Commission of the States. He previously
was president of Dallas public schools' board of trustees, and was a member
of two statewide committees assembled to recommend improvements in public
education in Texas.

Question from Lynn G. Marlin, Director of Bands, Warren G. Harding HS,
Warren, Ohio:
    Although the premise of the No Child Left Behind Act is excellent, some
of the negative consequences of this Act have resulted in widescale cutbacks
in the arts. What is President Bush going to do to ensure that the Arts and
other essential non-core subjects, do not disappear from curriculums because
of limited funds?

Sandy Kress:
    lynn, as an avid supporter of the arts and a believer in arts education,
i am very sympathetic with your question. total k-12 education spending in
our country has gone up from $404 billion in '99-'00, to $423 billion in
'00-'01, to $443 billion in '01-'02, to $482 billion in '02-'03, and to $501
billion in '03-'04. i do not understand why local schools and districts are
cutting back on arts education. these decisions are made locally. they
always have, and they probably always will. given the fact that the most
effective schools in reading and math also tend to preserve atrs education,
i encourage you to push back on these decisions, as important as we agree
the stakes to be.

---