RE: How do you mark the tables and routine/seating

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 07:00:19 PDT

I like your ideas. My classroom (Sinks and the like) is configured
differently, but I like the arrangement you described.

I let m students choose their seat the first day, but always 2 boys and
2 girls at a table. If there's an uneven #, then I let the group with
fewer kids come in first, then the other group. What the kids don't
know is that generally, this is the seating for a long time - maybe even
the whole year. Then I talk about playground buddies and art buddies
not always being the same friends. If they need to be moved, then I
move them and that sticks for the year. One other thing - when I have a
particularly difficult child whose behavior warrants it, I give them
their own desk, usually in a place where they cannot be a disturbance.
After that 1st class, I talk to the child and tell them that they will
not be punished but praised if they make the choice to sit by themselves
without my having to put them there. This has been a great help - often
they like to be at their own desk and recognize that they create better
art. This is something that always surprises me, but since they don't
get penalized for making the choice, some kids love it.

Jan