RE: How do you mark the tables and routine

---------

From: jane mary (mjart49_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 16:58:37 PDT

Here is how I organize my room 1-4.

I have a red,o,y,g,b,p tables that sit 4 students. I covered metal round hoops that I took off of old lamp shades with the color of yarn that matches each table. I hang them over the tables. The first thing we do in 4th grade (after they make their folders) is that they make a cube, cone, or pyramid shape chosen from 3-D patterns that I have.  They decorate their shape with different patterns using the color of their table. They have colored pencils, crayons, markers in their color and I let all use alittle black sharpie if they wish. This make the room look retty and the kids have done the decorating themselves so they can take some owner ship.

In the back of the room, I have 2 tables pushed together that I call the rainbow table. I demonstrate at this table.  The lamp hoop is covered in every color of the rainbow. When they finish their shape for their table, they can make a shape for the rainbow table- any color or a rainbow of colors on one shape. The cone shape has streamers hanging from its bottom. In some classes I have to have 2 kids sit at this table.

I have had bins on the tables that hold pencils, erasers, and scissors but after reading all the emails I think I will remove them until after I talk to the kids. They just can't keep their hands out of them!

I also have a piece of paper in the center of the tables that has 1,2,3,4 on it assigning each student a number. I will ask the ones to get something,2 to put away....

---