Re: Soldering

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 12:36:51 PDT

Hi Linda, I always stand by the torch until I find some kids who are
really competent and then the class has to get me or the competent
ones--often they are coming from welding. I try to instill enough fear
in them at the beginning that they want someone else to help them. I
have oxy-propane so they have a tiny little flame and it's hard to light
and they usually want me to use the striker because it takes all their
control to use the knobs. I bought a little battery operated spark
machine, but it's hard for them to use also since they have to turn the
torch over. .

.
I have 6th graders in my room using it but they do not get to light it
and a parent stands there all the time. I Have wondered how HS
handles
torch lighting.

Linda Woods

Visit our student's web art gallery at St.John's School

www.sjs.org
 click on "Stories of SJS," click on "Arts Stories," click on Linda
Woods' name. View artwork by Lower, and Middle School students as
well
as our art archives.

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu