Re: Soldering

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 12:30:21 PDT

Acetylene is fine. The cheapest set up for hard soldering you can get
is acetylene that mixes with air at the nozzle. It is not good to
breathe the fumes of either the gas or the metals and fluxes and
solders--you need a good ventilation system. If you are not familiar
and comfortable with hard soldering I would suggest that you don't use
it until you get some good instruction. Heck, I would suggest that
anyone should get some instruction--it's really fun!!

>>> hoart@optonline.net 09/06/2004 6:25:59 PM >>>

On Sep 6, 2004, at 6:30 PM, Jennifer Faingnaert wrote:

> The previous teacher had students soldering metal with acetylene. I

> have a lot of concerns about safe student use of the gas, in addition

> to my abilities to maintain them. Any suggestions on where to get
> accurate info on safe use and care of the tanks in the art room? Is

> acetylene an efficient fuel to use for this???

I don't know about acetylene but as far as the solder goes keep in mind

that some solder has lead in it. Be sure you are using lead free
solder.

Harold

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu