Re: what do you keep at your tables?

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 20:09:17 PDT

Sky,

It could be a mortal sin to play with the goodies in the baskets, and
they would still do it! :)

I went out and got smaller baskets just big enough for a cup of
scissors, pencils, erasers and glue bottles. I had the same problem
with children, especially the biddy ones, playing with the goodies in
the baskets while I was trying to talk. So, I have done a few things.
 One, I have cleared off a shelf to hold the smaller baskets (6, also)
until it is time to start work. They have specific jobs and the supply
manager is responsible for maintaining and fetching the basket.
 Secondly, I bought rubber mats that link together like a big puzzle for
my floor and we have meeting there. I check who is missing, and
introduce the lesson, and my chalk board, display board, computer, TV,
VCR and Elmo are there so I can use all the bells and whistles to
maintain their attention. I can still teach with examples after they
have taken their seats, by turning the computer around and using the
Elmo. This is great for demonstrations, because you don't have the
pushing, shoving, "he farted," "she's breathing on me" banter when they
gather to watch you do something up close; close enough that one of the
kids asked me what all those lines were in my hands!

The system is still not perfected, but it's getting better each year and
is working (knock on wood) great so far this year! To think my art
course of study money went to some of these pricey items when in the old
days a good roll of inexpensive duct tape would have done the
trick...only kidding!

Sandy

Geoffrey McClain wrote:

> I'm curious. I keep a large blue plastic bin on each of my 6 tables.
> I put pencils, erasers and scissors in there. Do some of you add
> other things like glue and markers? Just what do you keep at the
> tables at all times?
> I hate it when the kids reach in the boxes and start playing with the
> stuff while I'm giving directions.

---