Re: what do you keep at your tables?

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 16:14:07 PDT

I don't usually put anything on my tables. Generally, I have kids sitting down in front of a whiteboard when I introduce a project--or around one of the tables. (this is elementary, by the way). I have students sit at 5 tables. I organize all my supplies in sets of 5. I set these out on a counter. The kids bring supplies to their table--and put them away. But I don't assign certain people to do certain tasks. Each table functions as a team--they decide who is going to do each task. I will tell them what supplies are needed--such as: each table will need one paintbrush for each person at your table--each person will need one paper towel--each table will need one container of scissors--each table will need three containers of water--etc. Then they decide which person at their table will get the supplies. When it's cleanup time--I tell them which materials need to be put back on the counter (if the same grade level is coming next, they can leave some supplies on the table), and, again the kids decide who is going to do what. It puts the responsibility on them--teaches cooperative skills. I used to make charts, etc. and assign certain kids to do things--and it was SO much work. This is much easier--and they really do a good job, and like the responsibility.

I always have them each clean their own paintbrushes in the water containers at their tables--not at the sink. I have only a very small sink in my room. I will sometimes clean them again myself--or, if I'm using acrylic paint, I have them put them in a large plastic container to soak.

just some ideas that work for me........

Mary H.