Re: Large classes...and pacing guides!

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 16:03:33 PDT

Oops, sorry, I kept reading e-mails and answered my own question--that's
what I get for going backwards! I would be totally unable to do this.
I can never tell how long students will take for a project. I could
write generally, but not day by day. Even in other classes it would be
really hard--that's why none of us ever got past world war 2! I guess
that's the point.

>>> croberts18@cox.net 09/07/2004 6:04:45 PM >>>
For the life of me, I can not understand how anyone can be expected to
"teach" 37 students in a class. How can you even keep them in their
seats...and how can you work with them on an individual basis, when
they
need it. This is terrible!

I wonder if our principals and other administrators...when they were
teachers...ever had to have that many in a classroom. If they did,
they
would be more sympathetic.

I admire everyone of you who has a class that large and who doesn't
lose
your "sanity" working with them. Your room must be tremendous in size
(and
your budget, too).

My room is packed "people to people" (back to back) and I only have 22
in a
classroom...and I feel overwhelmed. I guess I have been very lucky.
When I
was in middle school, I did have a maximum of 26 students...and wow!
we had
to play musical chairs and hope someone was absent each day...I only
had 25
tables.

And I don't know about y'all (good ole southern term)...but this year
(in my
high school) we are having to do pacing guides for each different class
we
teach. We have a format...and it is done day-by-day...90 days total.
We
have to list the activity or lesson for each day that you'll be working
on
it, the concept or emphasis that you are focusing on each day, the
element
or principle on which your lesson is based, the competencies from the
NC
Standard Course of Study that your lesson covers each day...and then,
you
have a place for any notes you need to show. This has to be done for
the
entire semester...and has to be followed...to the best of your
ability!

Does anyone else out there have to do this for your art classes?

Now, this might be an eas-ier task for one who teaches Biology or math
and
has a book to follow...but in art, it's MUCH more difficult. I base
my
lessons a lot of times on the level and capabilities of the students in
particular class and sometimes I really have to change a lesson to fit
the
kids. Also, I'm constantly being called on to do other activities
around
the school... and there are so many more variables in art.

Just my two cents worth tonight...
Carolyn Roberts

> Hi Marcia-
> I have had plenty of large classes- my largest this year was just
> reduced from 44 to 37 today - Yeah! Still too big, but better.
When
> they are 8th graders it is different too- they take up much more
space
> than 6th graders. Our counselors don't seem to get that.
> Heather

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---