Re: RE: Large classes...and pacing guides!

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 15:51:00 PDT

Oh God, another new edu fad. What is the format for this pacing guide??
 Is it like an outline for the whole year based on your standards??

>>> croberts18@cox.net 09/08/2004 5:13:33 AM >>>
Actually, part of my advanced curriculum IS to add in these other
activities. It was discussed when I took the job...AND it shows in my
planning book that I keep each year.

My advanced students do a large 4 panel mural every other year for our
school auction (8' x 32'), and we do at least two (usually several)
4'x8' reproduction paintings to fill our halls with art work by
well-known artists. This is one way we work with art history across the
curriculum. Also, I try to take my classes on short field trips
periodically...to the park nearby for sketching when the weather
permits...and to our local arts council about once a month to look at
the new shows and do art critiques.

At the end of my pacing guide...is where I add in extra lessons... ones
that will not matter if they actually get taught.

I know what must be done...but I don't actually include it in my pacing
guide. I have the advanced classes...and the principal takes that into
consideration.

Actually...he told me that he does NOT even know what our three art
teachers teach...and this will help him understand what we actually
do...so it's a good idea. Also...he is not holding us "strictly" to our
pacing guide...but he surely is in the OTHER classes.

I'm not stressed out over my pacing guide...it was a challenge and I've
only done the one for my drawing/painting I class...they are my critical
class...but I probably won't do one for the advanced classes, since they
are working on portfolios for college.

I will do one for Art 1 and Art II...to keep myself on track. I
already have their lessons lined out for the semester what I plan to
teach...now, it's just a matter of slotting in the other info.
Carolyn

> Carolyn,
> It'll be interesting to see what your guide looks like at the end of
the
> year. If you are spending too much time on "other activities' asked
of
> you for the school, it will show up - to your curriculum's
advantage.
> Perhaps to keep a diary of the pacing, too - write down issues as
they
> arise.

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu