Is it just me? Late, and a little long

---------

From: Jude & Frank (jgrochowski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 04:06:03 PDT

 Hi everyone,
     I am catching up on emails which had started to come hot and heavy as I
was preparing for school. I spent yesterday with my brother who is a
principal in another community in Wisconsin and we discussed NCLB, as well
as the money which is flowing into states from well-to-do individuals who
 support vouchers-thousands of dollars-to promote candidates who will push
for vouchers and eventual privatization. Large corps like WalM. pushing
this.....
     We have someone in the WH who talks about supporting education,
but....our cousin teaches in Louisiana, in a school with 85% free & reduced
hot lunch. Her school does not even get Title One $ from the gov't because
they are below the state average for poverty and so the even poorer schools
get it first & there is none left!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many children who are not
in poverty in that state (as well as elsewhere) attend private schools.
     I hope those of you who teach in private schools take my point-this is
not a slam against you-but vouchers are a big deal in this state and their
discussion often leaves out these money stories.....IMHO

    His art teacher is showing the video "Sketchbooks: How Artists Use Them"
(distributed by Crystal) to the rest of the staff to demonstrate how her
students could more effectively utilize their sketchbooks across the
curriculum in other classrooms (this is an elementary setting). I viewed
the video (20 minutes) and it shows 3 professional artists and how they use
sketchbooks, as well as math & science connections within art planning at
the school and professional level.
     Here are those connections, and of course, we know it goes much
further....maybe this would be a great tool with parent groups as well.
    I am thinking of ordering this video to 'jolt' my art students into
taking their thinking several steps forward (the elementary students on this
video are quite articulate about what they've done in their sketchbooks!).
 Food for thought....
 Jude in Wisc

> > Hi all,
> > This week I was in a meeting with classroom teachers.
> > We had to examine the test scores. The Stanford 9 or
> > SAT for our schools went down last year. In fact test
> > scores in the state of Arizona are going down.
> > One trend I have seen in education, due to NCLB, > > Let the ideas flow!

---