Re: Soldering

---------

From: Dorothy Kane (creativemetals_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 03:23:35 PDT

Accurate info: 1. a gas/welding supply store, 2. a local jewelry supplier,
3. go online to the manufacturer of your regulator, 4. take a class or find
other teachers in your area to help you. Check Tim McCreight's book "The
Complete Metalsmith" for torch & solder info, safety, and procedures. In
Michigan, tanks must be chained. I've been soldering with HS kids for over
30 years with no accidents. Contact me offlist if I can be of assistance.

Dorothy

> I am a fairly new high school art teacher with a course in 3-D. The
> previous teacher had students soldering metal with acetylene. I have a lot
> of concerns about safe student use of the gas, in addition to my abilities
> to maintain them. Any suggestions on where to get accurate info on safe use
> and care of the tanks in the art room? Is acetylene an efficient fuel to
> use for this???

---