Art Club advice

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 18:48:44 PDT

I have another question for all you experienced Art Teachers. I've been leading Art Club at my school for the past few years. What I want is a core group of about 20 kids who are regular attenders and eager to make art. What I've had in the past is about 35-40 kids signed up and attendance is sporadic. Basically, some meetings I have 15 kids come and other meetings all 35-40 of them come. Now the problem I have is that it is hard to have continuity when they don't all come regularly. And the days that all of them come, it is really crowded. How do you run art club? Do you have unlimited sign up? Do they have to have a recommendation or approval to join? How many kids do you have in your art club? I'm thinking of having the kids fill out an application and then choosing about 20 kids (who aren't signed up for 5 other clubs) to be a member. That way, I'll have a group of more dedicated kids and we'll be able to accomplish bigger projects (like a mural, etc.). What do you
 think? I don't want to exclude anyone who really really wants to join.