Re: large class--tips?

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 18:42:58 PDT

Thanks for your response. In my other classes, I give them a lot of freedom to get up and get the supplies they want, etc.. but with this big class, it was just too chaotic. I like the idea of having everything laid out at their table that they will need. I already do the "table folder" thing which is the best idea ever! I should have always been doing that! I use mag. pages too for paint which saves on clean up time. I think I might try the 2 activities going on at once thing when I start clay. In the past, I've had smaller 8th grade classes, so we made more elaborate clay projects (but the kids needed more individual help), so I guess I will try something a little simpler with this class. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Wow.. you really do have huge classes with 44 kids! That's nuts! The problem is with the way the schedule is set up. Most of the teachers have their plan period then and there is only a limited number of classes the kids can go to. All the other
 classes this period are maxed out too! The dean called me into her office to apologize and said, "If there is anything I can do to help you, let me know." And I said, "Well, I could use a few more chairs!" Lol.

Heather Leal <rayleal@earthlink.net> wrote:
Hi Marcia-
I have had plenty of large classes- my largest this year was just
reduced from 44 to 37 today - Yeah! Still too big, but better. When
they are 8th graders it is different too- they take up much more space
than 6th graders. Our counselors don't seem to get that.

Anyway, I have found it helps to have things strategically placed
around the room. I used to put scissors in one rack in one place, but
have found it is better to put the required number on each table and
leave them there to count at the end of class. One rack was easy to
check that they were all there, but with too many kids moving- it is
worth it to check supplies at the tables. I do the same with sets of
pastels or whatever we are using.
I used to have each kid clean their own brush and palette and put them
away- now I have a set of cups with paint in them on each table and we
use magazine pages for palettes and one student cleans all the brushes
for the table.
We have individual portfolios, and a bigger folder for each table. All
the kids portfolios go in the table folder. Then I only have 7 table
folders to get out for each class. Paintings are still tough- I take
the dry ones off the rack, separate them by period, put them with the
table folders, but then we still need to have kids pass them out at the
start of class. I don't paint as much as I used to when classes were
smaller. I also sometimes find I need 2 things going on- Groups will
take turns working on something that is messy or requires lots of
activity while others are working on something quiet and still -
Good luck!
Heather